Thursday, December 22, 2005

 

5 hours, 41 minutes, 20 seconds


The shortest day and longest night of the year. Egad! Now the sun will slowly start coming back, but we won't really notice any change until mid-January. We should celebrate the solstice, but we never seem to get around to it. Probably SAD.

We got about 6 inches of snow last night, so I spent most of the day shoveling and plowing. The old Suburban started right up after sitting idle for 2-1/2 weeks, without needing a jump start. Since the 4WD was finally fixed this past summer, it worked perfectly on the driveway's killer hills, even with the crappy old half-a...sed plow on it. Now I won't have to fight that old !@#$%^ snowblower, anymore.

That took all morning (after two hours with my cello).

Today, I played back through several pages of my lesson book and then turned to the workbook for an hour; each line over and over, long after I got tired. At one point I felt like I broke through some sort of barrier, and was able to play on for quite a while longer than before. I'm trying to resist the temptation to put tape markings back on the soundboard. But today I was able to find the correct positions without too much difficulty... so I guess there's hope, yet. I also spent some time studying theory (see the Dolmetsch website link in my sidebar).

Someone logged into the Cello Heaven forum today who was just starting lessons at age 80! I'm impressed, and encouraged. Also someone new from Alaska - probably Anchorage. Still it's nice to see someone "nearby". I'm thinking about emailing him/her.

I was going to take Z to see King Kong today, but with all the shoveling and plowing we ran out of time. Hopefully, tomorrow...

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home