Monday, September 04, 2006

 

Bow cleaning


First I stroked the hair of the bow back and forth on a clean cloth - a surprising amount of rosin came off. I guess I could be doing this simple step more often. Then I loosened the frog somewhat and wiped off a little bit more. Next I dripped some rubbing alcohol on a spot of a clean cloth and wiped it back and forth on the front and back of the bow hair, working on four-inch segments at a time. I repeated this with fresh alcohol several times. Then I loosened the hair - almost completely slack - and wiped it with some more fresh alcohol. I took a lot of care to avoid any alcohol contacting the stick or frog. Now the bow is hanging to dry. In the morning, I'll rosin it (a lot lighter than before) and see how it(we) sound(s).

Comments:
So how did the clean bow work out? When I got my new bow it was caked with rosin (I guess from folks trying it in the shop). It tooks months for the rosin to wear off. Now I'm very conservative with the rosin.
 
Surprisingly, it has worked out well. I used a very small amount of rosin on the cleaned bow, and it sounds pretty good!

I used to think that when "I" sounded bad, I needed more rosin. Often I applied it twice a day. Now I only use it twice a week.
 
Can I ask how you enjoyed Fireworks?
 
I really liked "Fireworks" a lot... It must be hard to write from this viewpoint (presenting an obviously distorted reality through the mind of the main character, without necesarily writing in the first person). Add to that the author was a female writing a man's point of view...

Two highlights - actually one highlight and a lowlight: The remarkable unpredictabilty of the narrative led me to suspect at first that when the protagonist found the neighbor child's notebook in his kitchen, that it was going to turn out to actually be his own - i.e., his real personality documenting his gradual fragmentation.

The lowlight was the reference to penguins and polar bears - they don't even share the same hemisphere - Coca Cola commercials notwithstanding. The editors should have caught this one.

I'd give the book a strong "A" and recommend it highly.
 
When I worked for Indian Arts and Crafts in Seattle, (they mainly sold to Alaska tourist traps) one of the cheap plastic things that was a big seller was a penguin.
Oy, I am still trying to sign up. Now there is a scroll bar...but no sign-up form.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home