Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 

Upon further reflection


Today, I seem to have developed some sort of localized sinus issue, that is causing all sorts of jaw and neck tension, which is probably what caused my left hand to be so unresponsive yesterday. It's been a long time since I've experienced this type of effect from a sinus problem - it's been a long time since I've had a sinus problem. Maybe it's this long frigid, dry spell.

Usually, I have found that playing the cello is a powerful relaxation process. When I start playing, various tensions sometimes show up in my fingers and hands, and I'll do some sort of mental imaging of the various connections to the muscles in my shoulders and neck and head; which somehow leads me to let go of that particular tension.

This morning, though, I realized that I wasn't able to sort out my left side tension like I normally do, and my intonation and fingering was just not up to par. Now I realize this whole thing was coming on yesterday morning, but I didn't figure it out until this morning's frustrating practice session.

OK, so I'm letting myself off the hook for yesterday's miserable effort.

Still, next time...

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home