Monday, December 18, 2006

 

dna


Our daughter-in-law just called a few minutes ago. Her contractions are about 3 minutes apart and they are on the way to the hospital. She sounded pretty cheerful and relaxed.

If the delivery comes before midnight, I'll get to share my birthday with my grandson. Funny how that works out sometimes...

They haven't decided on a name, yet. They have a couple in mind but I think they want to wait and see which one fits. Our granddaughter is now 4 and is eager to start helping mom take care of her new little brother. A while ago she carefully selected one of her dolls to be her surrogate baby brother.

Even though her mother has been faithfully posting lots of photos over the years, each time we see her, I am still quite surprised to see glimpses of so many familiar faces from my family pop up in her expressions as she plays with her toys or interacts with us. It's so uncanny to see my mother's eyes and so many of her expressions. Although I certainly recognized some family resemblances in my children as they were born and grew up, it may be that I don't see her often enough to have become accustomed to all these characteristics blended together.

When Z was born fourteen and a half years ago, and opened his eyes in the delivery room and smiled at me, I briefly - but strongly - felt my father's presence in the room. It was an emotional moment. I actually gasped for breath. He'd died suddenly three years earlier. I'm not at all religious, but I felt reminded of something very fundamental about life - the continuity of our genetic code as it combines and recombines in passing from one generation to the next.

It's hard living so far away from them...

=======================================

UPDATE: The Next Morning

Baby D arrived at 2:30 am today, with mom and baby doing fine. He only missed my birthday by a few hours.

I feel for the kid, having a birthday so close to christmas was never fun. My mother actually used to "combine" presents...

Comments:
How exciting. I shared my birthday with my grandmother. It was a very special link.
 
Congratulations! Welcome to earth, Baby D.
 
Congratulations! We'll expect regular updates now on both the granddaughter and her new brother.
 
Congratulations on the arrival of Baby D! You really have lots to celebrate this season.

Happy BD to you also.

And also bravo to you for your participation in the Christmas concert.
 
Congratulations and happy birthday!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home