Saturday, May 12, 2007

 

Concert


Today, the Central Peninsula Youth and Community Orchestra presented our spring concert. What an experience!

I was really ready for this. I knew these pieces by heart. Just recently I realized I was finally in control of the tempos and rhythms for all these pieces. I had been practicing them mentally each morning on my treadmill (each step a quarter note or a half note, depending on the piece). I even got to where I was picturing the fingering and bowing as I walked. I was also mentally prepared to make a fumble or two, and I was sure I could recover and get back into it, if necessary.

I played lead cello (only because the other three cellists were relatively new to the group.) We were twenty string players with our conductor, and we really came together well. All that hard work showed.

I found myself in a zone, fully conscious of each note I played, yet a part of me was able to listen to the sound of the whole group. We only played five short pieces, but as we completed each one, I felt an exhilaration of accomplishment that built on itself. What a rush! On the next to last piece, as I had dreaded, I missed one or two notes, but I quickly recovered and played on. Normally that would have bothered me and I'd be obsessing about it right now, but that just didn't happen. I know what to do to better prepare for these stumbles next time. That part was so minor compared to the rest of it. The good parts more than outweighed the bad.

Our next gig is to be a brief luncheon concert in early August as part of our local summer music festival. Then we'll regroup in the fall.

Comments:
Yay! I'm glad it went so well. I love performing when it goes well, it's such a rush.
 
Congratulations! I like what you said about finding yourself "in a zone, fully conscious of each note I played, yet a part of me was able to listen to the sound of the whole group." That's the best, when you're performing and can hear the part and the whole, in a non-everyday way.
 
That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you.
 
Congratulations! You worked hard and richly deserve that exhilaration of accomplishment!
 
Congrats! Well earned rejoicing in order!
 
Ahhh ... the ZONE. It's the best place to be. I know that feeling of exhilaration that you mentioned. It's fantastic. It compares to nothing else, and I think that's what makes it all worth while. I'm so happy for you!

BTW, I do a similar quarter note step-counting thing when I'm out walking. It's great for practicing rhythms.
 
Good going, congratulations! All the hard work paid off, it sounds like.
 
Thanks, everyone, for your continued encouragement and support. It means a lot to me.

This is exactly what I was trying to describe in my earlier post about how blogging and the blogosphere is helping me in my quest to learn the cello.
 
It's not a real concert for me (i.e. the "zone") unless I make at least one mistake. The real fun is continuing on....like a rollercoaster. Congrats!

(And thanks for being so open in your blog.)
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home