Tuesday, July 10, 2007

 

Back at it


In the two months since the last lesson, I'd skipped practicing about 15 days while on vacation. But I've worked steadily the last ten days since returning home and feel that I've made some solid progress. Last week (after many weeks of pizzicato), I began bowing the newest piece, the Lully Gavotte. I'd also been working diligently on the d-minor scales and the various C-Major and c-minor tonalization sets.

Lesson #32 today
We warmed up with several scales including G into 4th position (my shifts were relaxed and pretty accurate).

She suggested some bowing exercises designed to loosen my grip a bit and to allow more flex in my fingers/wrist in the up-bow and down-bow motions.

Then we started with the Gavotte, playing rather slowly. I pointed out where my main hang-up has been (see yesterday's post) and sure enough, that was my only real stumble. Was I surprised! I figured I'd blow it at several points; as usual. But for whatever reason, I wasn't at all nervous or distracted (and my fingers were quite obedient), which of course made for a pretty good session. I imagine my teacher also appreciates it when I'm relaxed and able to focus.

Then we played through two other newer pieces: Suzuki's Moon Over the Ruined Castle (third position version) and Schubert's Berceuse. And, again, I did rather well.

We also played through the d-minor scales, and the tonalizations from the front of the book. Whew, I'm sure glad I'd been working on these. That led to a discussion about shifts and extensions and which ought to be used when.

Finally, we want back through several pieces at the end of Suzuki 2. While I still bump into certain "issues" on these, we talked about some ways to work around/through them.

Obviously I have much to do to bring all of these up to par and up to tempo, but I'm feeling pretty confident, today.


Last night I rejoined the local orchestra. We have a lunch-concert scheduled for the end of the month, so there's a lot to do, but the pieces aren't too difficult - many are replays from last season's concerts. There are three cellos!

Comments:
How good to feel things are progressing. Well done! It just shows what determination can achieve, doesn't it?
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home