Friday, February 08, 2008
At odds with myself
I was getting more and more frustrated and even briefly considered abandoning the lesson. But with her patient encouragement I persisted. By the time we began Gavotte in C-minor, I was finally playing better.
We turned to Humoresque. Last weekend I decided I needed to put down my bow for a while to focus on all those shifts, pizzicato. Suzuki introduces upper-third position in this piece, and I was floundering around trying to find that F# with my pinkie, and later on the F with my third finger. So, we worked through these slowly, pizzicato, several times. She said that I was just stabbing in the dark trying to make those shifts. So we went over which fingers should actually make the shifts - and on which strings - before actually playing the desired note. It made a huge difference.
Now I need to just find the time to practice.
Each of those imaginary frets have notes that match an open string. If, after a few years, I've practiced many times finding the magical frets, I might know very well only where just 5 frets are on the cello, but I can accurately find any note up to mid-string thumb position.
So F# has 2nd finger on D string A (or A string E).
Ok, I'll stop being weird now.
As for shifting, it really helped me to take the 'scientific' approach like Ms. Emily recommended - I wrote about the shifting exercise I was doing for weeks in this post - it really helped me develop a feel how far to shift for all sorts of combinations of notes. Good practicing!
I guess we just need to forgive ourselves and let it go. Next time will be better.
Links to this post: