Thursday, April 02, 2009

 

A Most Satisfying Lesson


Finally, another lesson (#68). I'd had such a frustrating practice this morning that I briefly considered canceling the lesson. But I already had to cancel last week's lesson due to the volcano, and I felt I really needed another one.

We started right in working on my newest piece (the Breval Sonata in C Major - Rondo grazioso). I explained my new approach - slow and deliberate from the start using the metronome; learning rhythms first.

So we started playing it... [now, here's where I usually complain about how badly I flubbed it - especially on the first run-through. BUT NOT THIS TIME!] Sure, I had a few minor problems, but managed for the most part to keep on going. I've only worked on the first half, so we stopped there and went back to go over a few issues, but there weren't that many, for a change. Then we started sight reading through the second half, and I managed quite well there too. Now, I think I'm ready to start working on it.

Finally, I talked about how those darn Mooney "Double Stop" pieces intimidate me. She had several suggestions that I'm looking forward to trying out, tomorrow.

It is such a relief to be able to show progress after so many frustrating months being stuck on that first Breval movement!

Comments:
A joy to read. Myself, my ups and downs don't go as far as yours do, I'm almost jealous.

Y'know, that Breval Sonata, although easy by professional standards, is real music and a real accomplishment.
 
But I do know what you mean. I'm a big one for working on the same music for months (and months), but sometimes a piece does just start sucking the life out of me, and I kick myself for having waited so long to move on.
 
Greetings from Atlanta! Just found your blog and I enjoy it! Started playing cello 5 years ago at the age of 50! Changed teachers last fall and am playing Moody's double stops for the first time. VERY difficult! I've played lots of music (the Breval many years ago and I loved it) but those double stops really slow me down!
 
Of course, I meant Mooney! It does make me moody though!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home