Tuesday, July 28, 2009

 

Not bad


I played the two Marcello Sonata movements at my lesson (#72) yesterday; it wasn't as clean as I've been playing it at home, but really not too bad, if I say so myself. Although I haven't yet reached optimum tempos, I've been increasing the metronome a notch every third day or so. It won't be long before I'm playing the Adagio at speed, but I've got a long way to go with the Allegro. My teacher really liked my intonation (except for a couple shifts to upper third position, but I'd already started working on these separately and should have them fixed in another couple days), my dynamics, and she commented on my confidence (!) with the piece. My new disciplined approach using that blasted metronome has made a world of difference.

After working on a few new scales (Eb - 2 octaves) and the third octave in G, we went through the Eb minor scale. As the hour ended she said I was ready to apply my new method to the next piece in Suzuki Book 4, the first of the two Minuets from Bach's Suite in G Major. She also suggested I start studying tenor clef, because Tchaikovsky's Chanson Triste is just around the corner.

Tomorrow our orchestra plays another noon-time concert at the local library as part of the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra's Summer Music Festival.

Comments:
I'm glad to see that you are still keeping up with the practice! You are an inspiration. My Popper Etudes project stalled a while back. Sigh. I avoided learning tenor clef for a long time by just playing up a string. Works pretty well. In fact I think most cellists don't really know the notes, unless they really concentrate.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home