Sunday, September 13, 2009

 

Learning the repertoire


I've spent most of my past two weeks practice sessions working through the seven pieces for the KPO's Halloween concert - picking up the rhythms, sorting out fingerings, and stepping through the trickier shifts and string crossings.

Once in a while I'll "uncover" a familiar passage, which allows me to calibrate myself to the piece as a whole. I've not started worrying much about tempos, yet, although I do work with the metronome, slowly tick-tick-ticking beside me. Once I've worked these out, I'll begin picking up speeds.

I've taken a more haphazard approach than I usually do to new pieces, concentrating on just a few lines or even a few bars at a time, and then moving on. So far, it seems to be working.

In my excitement at learning these new pieces, I'd let my lesson studies slide somewhat. A few days ago I returned to the critical parts to avoid getting rusty - also, I do have a lesson next week...

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home