Thursday, March 04, 2010

 

Signor Vivaldi di buon compleanno


alerted us today of the 332nd birthday of Antonio Vivaldi. I mention it here because I have been so immersed these past two months in his Sonata in E-minor. While I found the last piece by Tchaikovsky relatively easy to learn (the technical aspects, at least - the musicality still eludes me), the technicals of this Vivaldi sonata have been much more challenging. This week, though, I realized that it is finally coming together. I've been playing it slowly with the metronome, but a few days ago I decided to slow it all down just a little more; it all came together, and I played it through just fine. I'm visualizing the music better, somehow, and it seems to be helping.

My approach to this piece, as well as to two new etudes in the Percy Such book (one by Sebastien Lee, and the other by Felix Battanchon), has changed. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing differently, but a lot has to do with a change of attitude. I guess I'm no longer in such a hurry to get through it, to produce a finished product. I'm happy to work for hours, if needed, on a single phrase or a line until it falls into place, and then move onto the next part. Also, I no longer feel the need to pressure myself to have something "perfected" for my lesson (that could explain the "success" of my last lesson).

I no longer feel as if I'm trying to measure how much further I have to go in my cello studies. I'm more comfortable with just knowing that I am moving in the right direction - and I am (mostly) doing the right things to get there. My growth will come from doing all that consistently and often.

Comments:
Hee Hee, one is NEVER finished with a piece :)
 
I think it's great that you don't wonder how much further you have to go in cello. I just started my cello studies 13 weeks ago. I'm going into week 14 next week and I'm more excited about cello than I was about learning violin. I do sometimes wonder how long it will take me to get to a point where I can look at a piece of music and not wonder how I'm meant to play it, but just know how it needs to be played. Most often though, I just love the moment of playing...even the beginning pieces, no matter how simple it may seem to the more advanced player.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home